background

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

No bigs.

"you have a very good future ahead of you. you have nice teeth."
such a sweet man...

Today I went to a health care day camp. Okay, I'm a legit nerd. No bigs. But here's the thing, I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so, that I stayed a little too long on the telemetry floor. Apparently I wasn't supposed to stay an hour later then planned because my supervisors kind of thought I was abducted... but I wasn't! So it's all good!

I got to shadow a nurse named Chris. He was a delight and explained everything to me, step by step. I can honestly say, I feel like I learned A TON today. There were various patient cases, which I won't go into for confidentiality reasons, but I will say that despite the different circumstances for each person, I still wanted to help in any way I could. I wanted to comfort the family members and make the patient as comfortable as possible.

However, I was not allowed to do any of those things. "I am a watcher. Not a doer. I am a watcher. Not a doer." But I tried to put myself in Chris' shoes and it was a very good feeling. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of dirty work. I saw a lot of things I didn't really want to see, to put it lightly, but that's all part of the job. And now, I am beating myself up for not doing a summer internship. I am going to have to wait until August. AUGUST! But all I want to do, is get back in the hospital and assist.

Though I am upset I missed my chance for the summer, I am rather happy that I enjoyed my shadowing today. That has to be a good sign. Paging Dr. Agle? Hmmmmm maybe.

4 comments:

  1. Sasha,
    There is no limit to your potential:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE ARE THE SAME. We will both be doctors in the same hospital. Paging Doctor Agle and Doctor Jensen for surgery.... just imagine it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Medicine is a great career--I really enjoy it, especially the blood and gore :) I think you'd be an excellent physician!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much friends, I appreciate your encouragement ever so much!

    ReplyDelete