background

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

s is for sarcasm.

Yesterday, one of my friend's told me the following in drama class: "You are the most sarcastic person I know." Snap. I can't help it. It's just something I do. I even remember my first sarcastic comment ever made.

I was in third grade. My sister had explained to me what sarcasm was the night before. A conversation between an innocent boy (who had absolutely no idea what was coming) at my table and myself went like this the following afternoon:

Tyler: Is plus when you add numbers?
Me: No, it's a chicken.

Good right? No. Eight years have passed and unfortunately, to this day, chicken's are my default sarcasm comment.

On a more serious note, my friend's comment got me thinking that maybe some people don't realize I'm being sarcastic. Maybe some people think I am one of those mean and hard hearted teenagers who refuses to enjoy the simple joys of life? Maybe they think I was born a rude and obnoxious person! Yikes. So today, I tried not to be sarcastic from 5:30 am when my alarm went off til 2:15pm when the bell rang at school. (I couldn't carry it on the rest of the evening. I truly felt like I couldn't breathe) Please believe me when I say it was not easy. I had to think about every single thing I said (which was extremely annoying) and I even slipped once. Okay twice. Alright fine, maybe three times. What difference does it make? Thankfully it was not higher than that because I was constantly being reminded of my endeavor for the day by my best buds, Mar and Erin by their constant, "YOU'RE BEING SARCASTIC!" or, "THAT WAS ALMOST SARCASTIC!" reminders. Thanks guys. You're both pals. (And I'm not being sarcastic.)

I am going to do my best to be aware of my sarcasm tomorrow as well. I think it will be good for me. After all, as the movie 'Little Miss Sunshine' says...

"Sarcasm is the refuge of losers."

Ouch.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I know what you mean. I'm sarcastic a lot too. It's hard not to be! But I know you can do it! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete